School Board Code of Ethics
Members of the Dallas Co. R-I School District Board of Education accept the responsibility to improve public education in the Dallas Co. R-I School District. To that end, all Board members will:
1. Remember that the first and greatest concern must be the educational welfare of all students attending the public schools.
2. Obey the laws of Missouri and the United States.
3. Recognize that individual Board members have no authority to speak or act for the Board.
4. Work with other Board members to establish effective Board policies.
5. Delegate authority for the administration of the schools to the superintendent.
6. Encourage ongoing communications between Board members and stakeholders.
7. Render all decisions based on the available facts and independent judgment rather than succumbing to the influence of
individuals or special interest groups.
8. Make every effort to attend all Board meetings.
9. Become informed concerning the issues to be considered at each meeting.
10. Improve boardmanship by studying educational issues and by participating in in-service programs and training.
11. Support the employment of staff members based on qualifications and not as a result of influence.
12. Maintain a process of regular and systematic assessment of the educational system, in order to provide accountability for
the school district.
13. Avoid conflicts of interest or the appearance thereof.
14. Refrain from using their Board position for the benefit of family members, business associates or themselves.
15. Express personal opinions but, once the Board has acted, accept the will of the majority.
16. Refrain from divulging confidential information presented during closed sessions, except when required by law.