About the Dallas County R-I Schools Hall of Fame
In 2012 the Dallas County R-I School Board of Education established the Dallas County R-I Schools Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame is designed to recognize outstanding alumni, former staff, or exceptional supporters of the Dallas County R-I School District. Nominations for the Hall of Fame may be submitted to the Superintendent of Schools at any time, however, the formal screening process will begin in January of each year with the formal induction ceremony to be held at the Buffalo High School graduation which is held each May. The official Hall of Fame is located in the lobby of the Shewmaker Center on the Buffalo High School campus.
The Dallas County R-1 School District seeks nominations from individuals or organizations for the Dallas County R-1 Hall of Fame. The district will advertise for nominations in January of each year. All nominations must be submitted by completing a written or electronic form, which can be accessed on this website, and signed by the nominator or representative of nomination organization. Nominations may be submitted electronically or in person or mailed to the DCR1 Administration Office, 1323 S. Ash, Buffalo, MO 65622. The nominee must meet the following criteria:
1. Be a graduate, former employee or community supporter of the district. The person must be separated from the school for at least five years.
2. The person must have contributed to the welfare of humanity to an unusual degree, brought unusually positive attention to the Dallas County R-1 School District, or former employees who modeled the highest personal and professional qualities for students.
3. Award winners will be honored and formally inducted into the Dallas County R-1 Hall of Fame each spring conjunction with high school graduation.
The DCR1 Hall of Fame will be coordinated by the central office administrators for the DCR1 school district. To choose inductees, a selection committee will be formed and meet during the month of February. The selection committee will be made up of the superintendent of schools (or designee), school board member, student body president, and representatives from community organizations (i.e. Chamber of Commerce, Rotary, Retired Teachers Association, Alumni Association, Kiwanis, Optimists, VFW, Heart to Heart, and Historical Society). In order to be inducted into the DCR1 Hall of Fame, a nominee must receive a majority vote of the committee members present. Nominations will remain active for a period of three years.
Inductee Recognition: All DCR1 Hall of Fame inductees will receive the recognition benefits below:
1. An Induction Ceremony will be held in conjunction with high school graduation each May to honor each inductee and bring awareness to the DCR1 dedication to outstanding supporters.
2. A display dedicated to the DCR1 Hall of Fame Inductees will be placed in the Shewmaker Center.
3. A DCR1 Hall of Fame website will be created which will feature profiles of inductees.
Many members of the Dallas County R-I Schools Hall of Fame are featured in video oral histories recorded as part of our video history project. You can view these oral histories by choosing About Us, Dallas County Schools History.